Monday, February 13, 2006

3 a.m.

Where’s the world at 3 a.m.,
when my eyes pop open
responding to a bladder,
that won’t allow
my last beer before bed,
the dignity
to sleep the night through;
when my arthritis
plays pinball with my
knees and elbows,
scoring double points,
and an extra ball
for striking all four at once;
when I slide my hand
across satin sheets to find comfort
in the touch of your warm skin,
only to be reminded
you’re sleeping
with someone else,
in another world at 3 a.m.

(all rights reserved Pat Paulk 2006)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You stole another muse again, didn't you? Because all your new stuff is gooooooood.:)

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

alas those cold empty sheets

Pat Paulk said...

Thanks Aa & Shane!

daugther of lilith said...

i really like your poetry and your blog.

thanks for sharing!

ulrike

Pat Paulk said...

Ulrike, your most welcome, thank you!

Neoma said...

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, sadly enough, I could relate.

Pat Paulk said...

I feel like crying at 3 a.m.! Thanks for reading!

floots said...

this one is very close to home
(which made me like it all the more)